Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We will be reformatting the Support section of the forums soon. Read the details and ask questions HERE.
We've entered the final stage of testing for BG:EE's 1.3 patch. Read all about it HERE!
New to the forums? Well met! Please read the following rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay. Until swords part, friend!

Any game like baldurs gate

texasmatttexasmatt Posts: 22Member
Are there any games in the same age and with the same type of gameplay as baldurs gate are somewhere near it. besides icewind dale.

Comments

• Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Posts: 175Member
    edited March 2013
    Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, Konung Legends of the North, Konung 2 Blood of Titans, and Planescape: Torment are the infinity engine games. Planescape Torment is very different, but I recommend playing it. I'm doing my first playthrough now. I've never played the Konung games.

Beyond that Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2 share similarities with BG but are not isometric RPGs. The Diablo series is Isometric and enjoyable but not D&D based and are more action RPGs. The original fallout and Fallout 2 are similar to Baldur's Gate in many ways, but are not fantasy, highly recommended. Also highly recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is based on D&D 3.0 and is a turn-based game. It's buggy as hell though so install the Circle of Eight mods that to fix everything.

Post edited by Stargazer5781 on
    Necdilzor
  • texasmatttexasmatt Posts: 22Member
    Ok i have planescape and fallout 1 and 2 i just have played any of them yet. havent heard of the konung games but ill check those out. thanks.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Posts: 1,558Member, Beta Tester
    Never heard of Konung or Konung 2 either. There's probably a reason that none of us have heard about it. The reviews for it are pretty bad.

35/100 on metacritic for sequel. About the same for 1st one. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/konung-2
    TJ_HookerNecdilzor
  • texasmatttexasmatt Posts: 22Member
    I never trust reviews sometimes ppl have different opinions about things so I always test games out for myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Posts: 323Member
    Arcanum has some genuinely amazing stuff, but it's nauseatingly ugly and combat is unspeakably awful. It's a very mixed bag, worth keeping this in mind. I would recommend Torment since you already have it.
    AHFGodKaiserHell
  • DarksheerDarksheer Posts: 84Member
    Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader and Kult: Heretic Kingdoms also have some similar qualities.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Posts: 245Member
    edited April 2013
    It's much newer by comparison, but The Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion "Mask of the Betrayer" is a fully realized game in its own right (and I don't even think you need NWN2 to play it). Although it's not isometric, it's the only Forgotten realms game I've seen that matches the BG series in character and narrative depth. Awesome game.
    Post edited by Purudaya on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GriegGrieg Posts: 506Member, Beta Tester
    edited April 2013
    Inquisitor - dark scenery and medieval times. Already waiting for me on GOG but didn't tried it yet but read a lot of positives. Also one funny review that said something like: "a lot of texts to skip....", how can reviewer even say something like that?

Edit: I will add also NOX, recently heard it's pretty good, but again never actually played.

Edit2: I remembered another game before dragon ages but so so similar called Drakensang was good with fine way of spending experience instead of gaining a levels.
    Post edited by Grieg on
  • elminsterelminster Posts: 7,594Member, Beta Tester
    Grieg said:

Inquisitor - dark scenery and medieval times. Already waiting for me on GOG but didn't tried it yet but read a lot of positives. Also one funny review that said something like: "a lot of texts to skip....", how can reviewer even say something like that?

Edit: I will add also NOX, recently heard it's pretty good, but again never actually played.

Edit2: I remembered another game before dragon ages but so so similar called Drakensang was good with fine way of spending experience instead of gaining a levels.

NOX is an awesome game. I would recommend it though its more action oriented than storyline oriented (there is a story its just not exceedingly strong).

You do gain levels in Drakensang though beforehand you can also spend points upgrading yourself as well.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Posts: 109Member
    edited April 2013
    ajwz said:

texasmatt said:

Are there any games in the same age and with the same type of gameplay as baldurs gate are somewhere near it. besides icewind dale.

I'd say baldur's gate enhanced edition is pretty similar.

I'll leave now.

lol
    Post edited by mashedtaters on
  • zur312zur312 Posts: 1,324Member
    i recommend IWD 1 and 2 for fun slashing in DnD

cool for multiplayer too
  • GodGod Posts: 246Member
    There is nothing like Baldur's Gate.

Though, Siege of Avalon is an enjoyable game no one mentioned - and likely no one knows.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Posts: 260Member
    There's also a Konung 3: http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/konung-3-ties-of-the-dynasty/overview

Interesting, I never knew about this games until I came to this thread.