Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The 1.3 Patch for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is live! Read all about it HERE!
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition announced! Join the discussion HERE!
NOTICE: The forums will be down for scheduled maintenance on Monday, September 22, from 11am to 1pm ET.
New to the forums? Well met! Please read the following rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay. Until swords part, friend!

Do NPCs advance in level when you leave them behind?

If I leave a current NPC behind for a while so that I can temporarily take on a new NPC, will the old NPC be the same level as they were when I left them, or will they advance to parity with my party when I rejoin with them? I know that NPCs will start at roughly the same level as the party when they first join you, but I don't know about this.

Comments

• scriverscriver Posts: 768Member
    No, they will stay the same level as when you left them.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Posts: 259Member
    You could always CLUA them to be comparable with the rest of your party. I think it's only fair. That way you're not penalized for experimenting with different party line-ups.
    TJ_Hooker
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Posts: 2,290Member
    edited March 2013

You could always CLUA them to be comparable with the rest of your party. I think it's only fair. That way you're not penalized for experimenting with different party line-ups.

In the past, what I have sometimes done is to note the current xp of character I'm swapping out when recruiting a new NPC, and then to CLUA the new NPC to that amount of xp.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • Dantos4Dantos4 Posts: 41Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm not 100% sure about BG:EE, but in vanilla BG, the character rejoining you would scale to your level depending on a certain threshold.

So for example I remember leaving Kagain in Nashkel, levelling up a few times, then returning and she was roughly my level. However she had the "standard" gear she comes with, NOT the stuff I left her with.

Makes me come to the conclusion that it performs a check on lvl/exp then generates a level appropriate character from the "pre-sets" it would have used had they never joined you in the first place.

EDIT: Grammatical error
    Post edited by Dantos4 on
  • scriverscriver Posts: 768Member
    Dantos4 said:

I'm not 100% sure about BG:EE, but in vanilla BG, the character rejoining you would scale to your level depending on a certain threshold.

So for example I remember leaving Kagain in Nashkel, levelling up a few times, then returning and she was roughly my level. However she had the "standard" gear she comes with, NOT the stuff I left her with.

Makes me come to the conclusion that it performs a check on lvl/exp then generates a level appropriate character from the "pre-sets" it would have used had they never joined you in the first place.

EDIT: Grammatical error

You must've bugged out somehow, this is as far as I know not supposed to happen and I've never experienced it myself.

Also Kagain is a he ;)
    TJ_HookeratcDave